Thursday, July 20, 2006

Love the Carnies!



I went stampeding for the first time last week. That was quite a cultural experience! I have never been around so many uncle-grandpas in my life. It was fun...walking down the midway as the carnies scream "Hey there feller, you aint man-enough to knock down these them there milk containers with this them here ball, aint ya?" and "only a real man can done did knock them here things down!" Awesome.





We somehow ended up on a "gondola-type" ride that took us over the midway; while I was up there I ended up in a contemplative state and asked myself: "I wonder which is safer, a gondola maintained by stoned snowboarders at Banff, or one maintained by carnies with a grade 5 education?" However, we made it and it was very nice to get this birds-eye view of the Stampede grounds and of downtown Calgary.




We finshed the day with the Corb Lund concert at the Coca-Cola stage. I am not a huge fan of his, but as far as country music goes, he is about as good as they get. Natalie is a huge fan, so I thought I would take one for the team and join her.

It was a great day and I am glad I got to experience "the greatest outdoor show on earth!"

2 comments:

nat said...

Thanks for taking one for the team...love you!
You forgot to mention the spitter on the skyride - people can be so weird.

Travis said...

Stampede kicks arse! Wish I could have made it this year.